Python is, originally, a specification for a programming language. This specification has been implemented differently in different implementations of the language specification.
A small, and by no means exhaustive, list of some major python implementations is:
- CPython: The reference implementation
- Jython: Python implemented in Java
- Python for .NET: CPython implementation that enables .NET library usage
- IronPython: Python implemented in .NET
- PyPy: Python implemented completely in Python
- Stackless: Replaces the dependency for the C call stack with it's own stack
The project intends to add support for latest CPython versions (3.4, 3.5, and 3.6) and latest PyPy version (5.3) to the GRPC Python library as well as pave way for supporting other Python variants down the line.