We make tools that learners use to explore, discover, create, and reflect.
Sugar Labs, a volunteer-driven, non-profit organization, had its origins in the One Laptop Per Child project and is has been a member project of the Software Freedom Conservancy since 2008.
At Sugar Labs, we make a collection of tools (Sugar) that learners use to explore, discover, create, and reflect. We distribute these tools freely and encourage our users to appropriate them, taking ownership and responsibility for their learning.
Sugar is both a desktop and a collection of Activities. Activities, as the name implies, are Apps that involve active engagement from the learner. Activities automatically save results to a journal, where reflections are recorded. Activity instances can be shared between learners; many support real-time collaboration.
- Sugar facilitates sharing and collaboration: Children can write, share books, or make music together with a single mouse-click.
- Activities, not applications: Sugar activities are applicable beyond the scope of the classroom and even Sugar itself.
- Automatic backup of Activity work; no worrying about files or folders. Sugar’s Journal makes it almost impossible to lose any data.
- The Sugar Journal records everything you do: It is a place to reflect upon and evaluate your work.
- Sugar runs on most computer hardware, including slower machines.
- Sugar is Free (Libre) Software: It is written in the Python language and easily customized.
- Sugar is documented by its users: It is easy to use and teachers worldwide have created a wealth of pedagogical materials for it.
- Sugar is largely written and maintained by its users.
- Sugarizer is a fork of Sugar available for tablets and phones.
Sugar Labs 2017 Projects
Raphael TEYSSANDIERDevelopment of SugarizerSugarizer Deployment Tool is a tool for Sugarizer. He is for deploying Sugarizer on multiple device a keep it updated. Make the installation and...
P. Seetarama RajuGiving Sugar Labs Website a New LookThe proposal is for the project "Giving Sugar Labs Website a New Look". The basic requirement of the project is to provide "www.sugarlabs.org" a new...
Jatin DhankharMaintaining ASLOhttp://activities.sugarlabs.org/, often addressed as ASLO is the Sugar Labs app store, where activities are hosted and downloaded. It serves as main...
SanjayKumarAPMind Math ActivityAn activity that can help learners to calculate (999989)^2 in 10 seconds. The main objective is to make this web based sugar activity as a...
Zeeshan KhanSay no to Gtk2Sugar has been using GTK2 as its primary toolkit, for many years. But recently major changes have occurred in the sugar’s technology which includes...
Rishabh ThaneySugar on Raspbery PiThis project aims at making Sugar run perfectly on the Raspberry Pi like it does on the XO laptops and to create an image of Sugar which is suitable...
Tarun Kumar SinghalSugarizer Server DashboardThe project aims to create a "Sugarizer Server Dashboard" for teachers and deployment admin which can be used to control and manage the work of...
Tayba WasimTimbre Widget for Music BlocksMy proposed project is inclusion of Timbre Widget to Music Blocks. Timbre is a character of a sound that distinguishes it from other sounds. With the...
Dinuka TharangiUser Manual for Music BlocksMusic Blocks is a free and open-source, browser-based software, designed basically for students to learn music in fun and interactive way. To get...