High fidelity multibody dynamics engine with extended capabilities
- the first free general purpose Multibody Dynamics analysis software
- a command-line, direct initial-value problem solver with a large versatile multifield element library
- a research tool developed by the community and used extensively in academia and industry
- released under GNU's GPL 2.1.
The uses of MBDyn range from the very simple system simulations to extremely complex models. Some simple examples can be seen and understood from these online tutorials while input files for more advanced problems can be downloaded from the Applications section.
MBDyn has applications in
- aerospace (aircraft, helicopters, tiltrotors, spacecraft)
- wind energy (wind turbines)
- automotive (cars, trucks)
- mechatronics (industrial robots, parallel robots, micro aerial vehicles (MAV)).
See research projects for which it has been used.
Some of MBDyn features are
- the integrated multidisciplinary simulation of multibody and multiphysics systems
- nonlinear mechanics of rigid and flexible bodies such as geometrically exact & composite-ready beam and shell finite elements, component mode synthesis elements, and lumped elements, which are subjected to kinematic constraints
- simulate smart materials, electric networks, active control, hydraulic networks, ground vehicles and tires, and essential fixed-wing and rotorcraft aerodynamics.
- simulate mechanical and aeroservoelastic systems using first principles equations.
- couples to Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and terradynamics software, and to block-diagram solvers like Scicos, Scicoslab and Simulink. To do so it uses a simple C, C++ or Python peer-side API.
Users can extend the feature library by loading user-defined modules at run-time. On Linux, real-time execution is possible with RTAI and POSIX tight scheduling.
MBDyn 2017 Projects
Luca ContiFlight Dynamics Module, interaction with Flight GearDevelopment of a MBDyn interface from-and-to Flight Gear, that easily lets to get current values of any arbitrary field from the Flight Gear Property...
VSN Reddy JangaImprove BlendynThis project deals with improving and updating the capabilities of Blendyn, a post-processor for MBDyn. Some of the major deliverable for this...