Solid modeling, 3D printing, comp. graphics, & other computer-aided tech (CAx)!
This is the place for computer graphics, 2D and 3D geometry, solid modeling, CAx (CAD/CAM/CAE/etc), visualization, and high-performance computing!
BRL-CAD is participating as an umbrella organization with several other open source computer-aided technologies (CAx) including:
- BRL-CAD is a solid modeling system for 3D geometry, ray tracing, and geometric analysis.
- LibreCAD is a 2D modeling system specializing in blueprint-style drawings and draftings.
- STEPcode is a geometry file parser generator for the CAx data exchange ISO standard.
- OpenSCAD is a solid 3D modeler with a rich syntax for programmable geometry.
- LinuxCNC provides computer control of milling machines, lathes, 3d printers, robots, and more.
- FreeCAD provides parametric 3D modeling with engineering functionality like FEM and CAM.
- Slic3r is a 3D model processor for generating printing instructions for 3D printers.
We are part of a large open source community that makes tools to help you make and analyze things. CAx software is fundamentally different from content modeling software such as Blender, Maya, and 3D Studio used for making movies and pretty pictures. CAx software like AutoCAD, Pro/Engineer, CATIA, and BRL-CAD are for everything else. Our primary development focus areas include:
- CAD (design),
- CAM (manufacturing),
- CAE (engineering),
- solid modeling (analysis), and
- computer graphics (visualization).
BRL-CAD 2018 Projects
Add exec option to searchBRL-CAD's MGED search needs an -exec option - like the find command in UNIX - but that would mean low level library functions accessing the...
FreeCAD Configuration Management ProjectFreeCAD is a general purpose 3D computer-aided engineering & design program available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and as a result it has a huge...
Improving raytracing performance by improving libbuImprove parts of BRL-CAD's raytracer by removing unnecessary work and using better-suited data structures.
OpenCL GPGPU RaytracingBRL-CAD objects are made from about two dozen primitives, ray-tracing of which can be quickly realised in a GPU owing to its parallel architecture....
Overlap Tool - Cross platform compatibilityThe project aims to bring cross platform compatibility to the existing overlap tool which currently uses a shell script that works only for Linux. By...
Python BRL-CADProject aims to wrap BRL-CAD geometry primitives in python using ctypesgen and extending support to use python BRL-CAD on multiple operating systems....
Slic3r - Rotating Face to BottomThe primary goal of this project would be to implement a solution to issue #3047. This issue is basically about implementing a way for users to...