Programming assignment submission with automated grading and manual TA grading
Submitty is an open source programming assignment submission system with secure and automated testing, automated grading, and efficient manual TA/instructor grading & additional tools for overall course management. Submitty was launched by the Rensselaer Center for Open Source Software (RCOS) in 2014.
- Secure testing of many languages: Python, C/C++, Java, SQL, and anything available on GNU / Linux!
- Customizable automated grading with immediate feedback to students, and optional hidden or randomized tests
- Advanced grading tools: static analysis, JUnit, code coverage, memory debuggers, networked assignments, and screenshots/GIFs of graphics programs
- Instructors have full access to logs for debugging, launch batch regrading, custom containers (Docker)
- Student upload by drag-and-drop, zip upload, or version control
- Correct mistakes through multiple submissions, flexible ``late day’’ policy
- Interface for complementary instructor/TA manual grading, regrade requests, anonymized peer grading
- Instructor bulk upload of scanned .pdf exams, QR code name matching, pdf annotation
- Supports course material hosting, team assignments, overall grades spreadsheet, plagiarism detection
- Integrated discussion forum, notifications, and email announcements
- Scales to multiple courses, thousands of students, multiple instructors and TAs per course
- Open-source, free to use, install on your own hardware, or VPS
Each term Submitty is used by 2000+ students in 15+ courses in the RPI Computer Science department. The courses using Submitty cover the undergraduate and graduate curriculum from introductory programming courses, intermediate and advanced theory courses, popular junior/senior electives with team projects and written reports, and specialized graduate courses.
We will again present our work at the ACM SIGCSE conference in March 2020. Submitty has been used at a half dozen other universities and we aim to grow to more users and developers.
Submitty 2020 Projects
Mobile Friendly Website and PWAThis project was focused on making Submitty mobile friendly and a progressive web-app with adding push notification feature but during the summer I...
Peer GradingThe project aims to develop a system for grading in online learning modules so that grading can include peer grading in addition to the already...
WebSockets for live page updatesWebSockets allow users’ pages to get dynamically refreshed/updated without the need to manually refresh the page every now and then. This behaviour...