We build and maintain tools that learners use to explore, create, and reflect.
Sugar Labs, a volunteer-driven, non-profit organization, had its origins in the One Laptop Per Child project and is has been a member project of the Software Freedom Conservancy since 2008.
At Sugar Labs, we make a collection of tools (Sugar) that learners use to explore, discover, create, and reflect. We distribute these tools freely and encourage our users to appropriate them, taking ownership and responsibility for their learning.
Sugar is both a desktop and a collection of Activities. Activities, as the name implies, are Apps that involve active engagement from the learner. Activities automatically save results to a journal, where reflections are recorded. Activity instances can be shared between learners; many support real-time collaboration.
- Sugar facilitates sharing and collaboration: Children can write, share books, or make music together with a single mouse-click.
- Activities, not applications: Sugar activities are applicable beyond the scope of the classroom and even Sugar itself.
- Automatic backup of Activity work; no worrying about files or folders. Sugar’s Journal makes it almost impossible to lose any data.
- The Sugar Journal records everything you do: It is a place to reflect upon and evaluate your work.
- Sugar runs on most computer hardware, including slower machines.
- Sugar is Free (Libre) Software: It is written in the Python language and easily customized.
- Sugar is documented by its users: It is easy to use and teachers worldwide have created a wealth of pedagogical materials for it.
- Sugar is largely written and maintained by its users.
- Sugarizer is a fork of Sugar available for tablets and phones.
- Turtle Blocks and Music Blocks are popular programming Apps that run in Sugar, Sugarizer, or stand-alone on the GNU/Linux desktop or in a Browser.
Sugar Labs 2021 Projects
Improve and maintain 15 Sugar activitiesSugar Labs has more than 250 activities GitHub and elsewhere which have scope for improvement. Since the support for Python2 was withdrawn from...
Music Blocks Graphics ManagementThe code base of Music Blocks is being refactored. This gives us an opportunity to revisit a number of UX issues, including the design and...
MusicBlocks-v4 palettes and Artboard CanvasMusic Blocks is being refactored to Musicblocks-v4. The current implementation of how the blocks are presented to users has several issues regarding...
MusicBlocksv4 Menu Framework and ArtBoard ConnectionsMusicBlocks is going through a complete overhaul to MusicBlocksv4 , allowing us to work on a new, improved version with the latest tech stacks and...
Sugarizer Measure activityThe objective of this project is to develop a new Sugarizer Measure activity which will work on Android/IOS platform and browser. The Measure...
Sugarizer Security and AvailabilityThe objective of this project is to keep Sugarizer growing by enhancing two core concepts for our deployments: Security and Availability. 📝...
Sugarizer Story ActivityStory is a fun way to get children to engage in narration. We simply generate some images and the learner should try to tell a story that ties the...